Tuesday, January 22, 2008

We've come a long way...

Today I started a novel unit in class on The Watson's Go To Birmingham-1963. Anyone who knows me knows it is one of my favorites. It centers around an African-American family in 1963 who decided to escape the cold of winter in Michigan to visit family in Alabama. The book is funny and has lots of references to the civil rights events of the time. Our kids have been learning about Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks since preschool so I assumed they had some kind times.

Today in the story they reference the "Colored Only" restrooms in the south. After watching the student's reaction during the chapter, I asked them later what they thought it meant. They really thought about it. They had that look like they had some kind of idea of what it meant. Finally, my student who happens to be biracial raised her hand. I thought to myself that if anyone knew she would. Her answer was, "That means they painted the bathroom a different color." The funny thing is that everyone in class agreed with her.

I think back to that famous speech of Dr. King where he mentions the dream of his children being judged by the strength of their character rather than the color of their skin. I have thought all day and wondered if it is progress or pathetic that our children have no idea about such recent history. I am going with progress. I went to the library tonight and got a few picture books on the civil rights. I am not sure kids can begin to understand what happened in the 60's before 4th grade. I am 37 and just now getting it. As I looked as those pictures I wonder if I would have had the courage to march, sit, and speak out. I think about the Little Rock 9 and wonder if could have sent my sons and daughters to school in such hatred. I honestly don't know. I hope I would.

Thank you to all those who made it possible for my children to have no idea what all this is about!

No comments: