Friday, October 19, 2007

Facing my fears


Those of you who know me know that I have quite the fear of heights. My fear of flying is pathological. Today our school had a vehicle day. We had lots of different vehicles and the people who operate them to tell about their jobs. The electric company came in with their cherry picker and offered the teachers rides. Not wanting to let down my students, I agreed to go for the ride. I began to panic the minute I was in it!! I calmed a little when it stopped moving at the top. Then the worker offered me the opportunity to drive it. That was when I really lost it. I accidentally dropped us 3 feet instantly. Once I stopped screaming and the worker quit laughing, he showed me how to rotate the basket, quite quickly! Once I calmed down again he brought me down to the cheers of my students. One of my students commented "Mrs. Thompson, where did you go up there? All of a sudden it looked like you were hiding on the floor!" We've been working on observation skills...

No comments: