Saturday, December 8, 2007

To my Touchstones...

In high school I can remember watching the movie Terms of Endearment. In the movie when Debra Winger is dying her best friend looks at her and says, "Emma, you can't die, you're my touchstone." That scene has always stick with me. I had never heard the term "touchstone" used before or since. I didn't make sense to me until now.

I have been blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life. I am very close to my mom and sister, closer than ever. I talk to them everyday. I work with the most amazing group of ladies. They are my dearest friends and I love them all!

Then there is Krissi and Kelley. I do not talk to them everyday. I only see Krissi once a year and Kelley sadly only a few times more. But, I know I could call either one and they would drop everything if I needed them. I can be with them after not seeing them for a year and it is like we were together yesterday. They know all the things about me that I wish I could forget and they still love me! On my 30th birthday they both gave me the same birthday card with the same poem, one bought in Connecticut, the other here in Cincinnati. Krissi was my childhood, Keley my young adulthood. Abby's first name would have been Kristine if I hadn't married and Chris and therefore her middle name is Kristine. Most people don't go their lives without people like this in their lives and I am lucky enough to have 2!

I am not saying my touchstones are better than my friends, sister, or mom. They are just different. The bond between us is not better, just different. But, I have to thank them for loving me the way that they do. They both are at a great time in their lives and I am so, so happy for them. Here's to us, girls!!!

No comments: