Monday, February 25, 2008

Conquering Fears

OK, I have lots of catching up to do. For those of you who know me, I really have issues with flying. I drove to Miami for my sisters wedding and drive to Connecticut once or twice a year and NEVER fly. This weekend, my cousin Nicole got married and Mom and I decided to fly up with the girls (Mom likes flying about as much as I do). As many of you know, we had a lovely winter storm last week that was only worse in New England. We flew out of Columbus and we were planning to spend the night Friday in Columbus because we were sure our flight was going to be canceled. Nearly all flights to the east coast were canceled. After an hour and a half delay we were put on the plane. I kept waiting to be pulled off the plane and the flight canceled. It never happened. We were on the runway for nearly an hour waiting to be de-iced. My anxiety was THROUGH THE ROOF! Once I was ready to come out of my skin, I called my friends husband, who is a pilot and had him talk me down. With all the compassion and consideration about my fears, Greg told me to suck it up. The 2 guys in the front of the plane are the ones who want to die the least and will not fly in anything that they think will make them crash. Those kind words did really make me feel better and got me through the flight. I felt so much better when we landed in New York safely and began to taxi to the terminal. I didn't even freak out when the pilot slid on the snow and did a donut at the end of the runway. Talk about personal growth!

No comments: